WALT: Discuss what lyrics are and the purpose of lyrics in music
Things to think about and discuss as a class.
Record your ideas in your literacy books.
- What are lyrics?
- Why do people write lyrics for songs?
- Do all songs have lyrics?
- What do lyrics add to a piece of music?
- How can lyrics affect people?
- Do we know really famous lyrics?
- Does anyone have favourite lyrics?
Listen to one (or more) of the following songs, or any other song that creates mood and emotions through fabulous lyrics.
John Lennon – Imagine (MP3 On Dropbox)
Eric Clapton – Tears in Heaven
Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here (MP3 On Dropbox)
Bob Marley – Redemption Song
U2 – Wild Horses (MP3 On Dropbox)
Procol Haren – Whiter Shade of Pale
Don McLean – Vincent
The Verb Pipe – Freshman
Regina Spektor – Fidelity
Jimi Hendrix – All Along the Watchtower
Discuss with a buddy and then share your thoughts and ideas with your class
- What emotions is the artist trying to convey?
- How important were the lyrics to the song?
- What is the artist’s message?
- Do lyrics share any features with poetry? Which ones?
- Are the lyrics different to poetry?
- What do you like/dislike about the lyrics?